Calories 101 kcals
Ready in 55 minutes
- red peppers 3
- olive oil 1 tbsp
- onion 1, finely chopped
- garlic 2 cloves, chopped
- dried chilli flakes a pinch, plus extra to serve
- plum tomatoes 400g tin
- vegetable stock 300ml
- double cream to serve
- Heat the grill to high. Put the whole peppers onto a baking tray and grill for 15-20 minutes, turning every now and again, until charred on all sides. Tip into a bowl, cover and leave for 15 minutes to steam – this will help the skins come off easier.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large pan and cook the onion with some seasoning over a low heat for 15 minutes until soft, then add the garlic and cook for another 3 minutes. Add the chilli flakes, tomatoes and stock. Bring to the boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove the skins from the peppers, as well as the tops, and seeds and pith from the insides, and discard. Roughly chop the pepper flesh and add to the pan. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Use a stick-blender to whizz the soup until completely smooth, then season. Spoon into bowls and top with a swirl of cream and a sprinkle of chilli flakes, if you like.