Mexican Prawn Soup
Ready in 1 hour
Calories 259 kcals per serving
- vegetable oil 1 tbsp
- carrot 1, finely chopped
- celery 1 stick, finely chopped
- green chilli 1, finely chopped
- red onion 1, finely chopped
- garlic 3 cloves, crushed
- smoked paprika 1 tsp
- ground cumin 1 tsp
- dried oregano 1 tsp
- tomato purée 1 tbsp
- sweet potato 1, peeled and cut into 2cm cubes
- chopped tomatoes 400g tin
- raw king prawns 180g
- avocado 1, chopped
- coriander ½ a small bunch, leaves torn
- lime 1, wedged
- Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the carrot, celery, chilli and ¾ of the red onion with some seasoning for 10-15 minutes or until soft.
- Add the garlic, spices and oregano, and cook for 1 minute, then stir in the tomato purée and cook for another minute. Tip in the sweet potato, chopped tomatoes and 350ml of water, and simmer gently for 25-30 minutes or until the sweet potato is completely tender.
- Add the prawns and a little seasoning, and simmer for 5 minutes until they have turned pink and are cooked through.
- Stir the remaining red onion through the avocado and spoon over the soup, with the coriander. Serve with lime wedges.